I cant Really enjoy Winters as others Do!!! Only reason is I fall Sick My Body Cannot Accept Cold Season For what ever reasons. That Is the Time I anxiously wait for Summer, I need Sun I need Sun. Rays of sun in such days R like Blessings to me, I badly need it to warm up myself to feel better lolss.
So Summer has come and Im happy sweating. Strange Right??? But Fact I enjoy Summers more than winters. I feel my body metabolism works fine in summer than in winter. This is the time we enjoy and cherish all kind of fruits and drinks and what not? Why not Of Course Every season has its own Reasons to Give us something new :)
Coming back to the Subject!!!
I had to do some googling bfr I open my mouth here :P Because I know not many R aware Of this fruit. Even If they R aware they dont know how to consume. Thats completely fine!!! Its never too late to know anything and take it in use :)
This is The fruit with Thick skin outside. It is also called Bael in Hindi and norther regions of India. Also known as elephant apple, monkey fruit, curd fruit, kath bel. This fruit is native to India and Sri lanka so can be said as native to South Asia Region growing in Dry Plain regions. In India, the fruit was traditionally a "poor man's food" until processing techniques were developed in the mid-1950's.
Leaving the benefits of Leaves and Roots, Lets just talk about fruit.
The unripe fruit is bitter in taste, acrid, sour, and astringent in nature. It is useful in treating diarrhea and dysentery. The ripe fruit is sweet in taste, aromatic, cooling, and astringent. It acts as a laxative and has tonic properties. It is a popular medicine for dyspepsia in India and is widely used to strengthen the heart and brain. Good remedy for constipation problem and also lowering High blood pressure. This fruit is also available in powder form and used as medicine for constipation. has many more multiple uses which you can Google up :)
Lets Take a Looks at Inside Of the Fruit.
It has a thick hard skin, Pulpy, has small seeds and Whole lots of fibers Around the fruit pulp!!!
Isn't It the Pulp Looking Fibrously Delicious??
As I have mentioned in my introduction that my roots are from Orrisa My parents are used to consume this fruit. Even I have consumed this fruit in form of juice earlier but It kinda gave me some sought of medicinal smell which i dint like, but still Ok to consume. I never found this in south. May b its there but very rare. Its only when my relatives come down from there, take some pain to carry extra luggage for us!!!
But This time my Aunt (mom's sis) living in Orrisa and my cousin bro took some pain to send us this fruit via courier. We were literally shocked to know this and was wondering how and what condition this fruit is gonna reach us. We were eagerly waiting for the delivery to find the fruit is well riped and in good condition. They had selected unripened fruit and sent us so we got Perfect ripe fruits :)
This fruit was ripe and sweet and dint had any medicinal smell either, It was yumm to taste and consuming it was a complete Pleasure!!!!
How To Make Juice/ Sharbat Of this Fruit:
1st time I saw my mom how she makes it :)
Beal Fruit / Wood Apple
- Break The fruit With Some hard object, Like Heavy Knife/ Hammer (yes you got it right hammer) Outside skin is so thick. If you dont have any equipment just break it like coconut but with little force. Its not so much hard like coconut shell either.
- Once cracked you can easily open thru and scoop out the pulp.
- In a large bowl put in the pulp add water and mash it/ hand blend it till all the pulp blends in well with water. As we mash up the pulp gets thicker, so more water is neeeded to dilute much enough so that fibers and seeds get separated from the pulp.
- Using your hands try to strain the long fibers and seeds out of this, Still if you feel more thicker fibers are left use fork or a big holed strainer to extract.
- Add in sugar mix well and refrigerate
- Serve chill
- Do not add much water at a time, do it little by little. Once you get like smoothie consistency Of juice stop adding water
- When we add sugar it will dilute more as sugar becomes watery. If still you find ur sharbat is thick then you can add water more according to your desired consistency.
- We cannot use any blender of juicer because of its seeds and fibers around the pulp, It takes a Little work but wroth to do it :)
- Im not mentioning the proportion of sugar and water, As it completely depends upon the amount of pulp which gets extracted, Sweetness of fruit and amount of sweetness you require from sugar.
It isnt any difficult task!!! just needs some balancing of proportions in which we r all gud at :)
Here Goes in my Yummy Sip!!!!
I know I talk alot about anything and everything in my each post, But the reason is I really cannot stop myself from sharing myself to All you guys :) I just love you all so much!!!
sending my entries to:
Summer Special, Spring Surprises, Gain Popularity, Foodabulous Fest – Celebrate April Series organised by Simply Tadka, Healthy Food For Healthy Kids, Celebrate Summer & Jagruthi, Fruit & No Waste Food