It is widely available in every masjid here given for free and also we find some sellers in road side selling this in a plastic bag in terms of liters. Hence it can be found at iftaar table here, anywhere and everywhere!!
To my honesty I should say my family members including me consume more of this as it is very addictive!! Therefore I did observe that having this is more quantity everyday can lead to weight gain!! You got it right gaining weight...... So I came up with a low Carb Kanji
The actual version we need to cook rice in more water so that is it more of khichdi consistency add more water to keep it in liquid state and mushy. Rice water when discarded from rice is much more healthier and low in carb than to consume something along with cooked rice water. There was no difference in taste and was quiet light to gulp down more of it
Lets get to the process!!
Over Cooked Rice out of 2 cups rice. Discard the rice water
Chicken Pieces - 4-5 / mince 1/4th cup or more
Vegetarians may opt using veggies like carrot, beans and peas
Onion - 2 sliced
Whole spices - cinnamon, cloves and cardamon (2 each)
Ginger garlic paste - 3-4 tsp heaped
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Powder - 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4th tsp
Mint Leaves - 1/4th cup
Coriander leaves - 1/4th cup
Tomatoes - 2 Roughly Chopped
Soaked Moong daal - 1/2 cup
Soaked fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
Oil - 4-5 tbsp
Salt to taste
- Mash up the cooked rice nicely when it is still hot and keep adding water as you mash to dilute it to semi liquid form. Can make use of daal masher or just blend it if you like
- Heat oil in a pot add the whole spices then onion saute it for 2 mins or more in high flame,
- Add chicken pieces, Ginger garlic paste and cook for a min or 2 till raw smell of the ginger and garlic disappear
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, dry spices, mint and coriander leaves, moong daal and soaked methi seeds. Put the flame to medium and close the pot. Cook till the tomatoes turn mushy and daal is soft. This may take 7-10 mins. Keep stirring in between
- Once the tomatoes turn mushy and all the ingredients have mixed up well you can see oil leaving the sides
- Take out the chicken pieces and shred it with you hands when cool
- Now add the diluted rice to the masala and mix it. check for salt and Allow it to boil for few mins.
- When you find the consistency getting thicker add in hot water and continue to stir.
- Add in the shredded chicken and mix
- Once done you are ready to serve!!
- I Love to have it Hot Hot Its awesome when mixed with savories like mixtures and bajjis.
But you can have it when in room temp also it taste good both the ways :)
Here in this pic the consistency shows that of a porridge, I like this way more as it is filling to my tummy. Used bowls to serve!!
Others like to drink it so they add more water and cook it more as a liquid kind. Pour it in a glass and gulp down
When I say I eat Kanji my inlaws would say they drink it, I wonder at times this is what has to be expected when North meets south LOL!!
You can make this with mutton mince / beef mince / chicken mince / mixed veggies as you wish
- When you use mince you dont have to shred as I did here!!
- Can be reheated easily
- Stays good refregirated for 2-3 days. Would change in taste if kept more than that.
- Adding hot water to dilute is much better coz it helps to retain the taste intact. Adding water of normal room temp will bland up the taste
- Add salt and spices as per your taste. The above mentioned spices are mild.
I should agree that at times my post goes too long and at times as never ending. This is simply because I like to be genuine and share every bit of information related to the recipe. I dont want my readers who want to try out the recipe to struggle as they cook. I feel its my duty to explain everything in detail so that my readers can experiment with my recipes hassle free!! The need to know the nature, place, conditions and cuisine is very important!! specially when a dish is made just once in a year, that too in a particular region and with particular styles.
I would surely post a quicky recipe of normal kanji made by pressure cook method
until next cya!!