A Delicious!! One Pot Meal To Be Tried....
I'am not a biriyani lover but occasionally help my mom making biryani her way takes place sometimes. I made chicken dum biriyani myself once and that was suppose to be surprise shocker to my whole family. This pulao is very much inspired to the chicken dum biriyani. And total justice is done to the dum biriyani via this simple chicken pilaf. There was no regrets to shortcut here!!
Definitely nobody can deny how yummy it was, and specially when everything is finished by night I can breath well.... Lol... yess!!!
Rice - 1kg (5 cups, Soaked in water for 30 mins minimum)
Chicken - 1.5 kg
Potatoes - 2 large or 3 medium size Cubed n fried till golden brown
Onion - 1 large or 3 medium size Sliced
Garam Masala- 1tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4th tsp
Chilli Powder - 1/2 - 1tsp
Coriander Powder - 1tbsp
Yogurt - 1 cup
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2- 3 tbsp
Salt to taste.
Whole Garam Masala ( 3-4 Cardamom, Cloves each, 1inch cinnamon stick, you can add nutmeg n star aniseed if u like, I did not)
Mint leaves - 1/4th cup / 4-5 tsbp
Coriander Leaves - 1/4th cup / 4-5 tbsp
Oil - 5-6 tbsps or more if required (this should be enough coz fried potatoes will ooz out its oil during cooking process.
Water 9 cups + Milk 1 cup to the standard measurement in which rice has been measured.
Yellow Food Color a pinch I did not use.
Sugar 1/4th tsp
- Soak Rice With lots of water
- Blend Yogurt With Mint leaves and Coriander Leaves
- Marination of Chicken - Add yogurt, all dry spices, ginger garlic paste and some salt. Mix it well and allow it to rest atleast for 1 or 2 hrs The more marination time allowed more flavorful the chicken gets!!
- Heat Oil a pot which can hold 1kg rice. Once heated add whole dry spices allow it to splutter.
- Add in Onion and fry it till it start getting light brown in medium flame, Make sure it does not burn, just golden in color.
- Add in the marination and cook it in high flame and mix it well. In the process you will get a nice strong aroma bursting inside your kitchen.
- Cook this till the extra moisture from chicken and yogurt gets evaporated, This should take 2-3 mins in High Flame. Add sugar too!!
- Once this is done Add in Water + milk, and Potatoes to the pot and wait till it starts boiling. Check for salt, add more if needed!
- Mean while Drain out water from soaking rice to the maximum no extra liquid should remain.
- When it starts boiling Add in the rice and allow it to boil again.
- As it boils, water in the pot starts to get absorbed. Stir in with spatula once just for even mixing.
- Once u see rapid bubbles of water are fading and rice is almost looks half cooked. Cover the pot with a tight lid and low the flame to the most lowest mode possible.
- Leave it in dum for 12-15 mins and Switch of the flame.
- Allow it to rest for 30 mins. Open the lid and mix it all gently.
- Serve it With Raita!!
I did not use any food color
My Version is Darker in shade for 2 reasons,
1) I dint wanted to use fried onions separately as it will consume time and also add more oil content to the dish so I decided to Fry the onion golden brown in 1st step itself. This in turn boosted the flavor of whole dish. If you want, follow the recipe as it is or avoid the 2nd step go right away to the 3rd step by adding chicken to the oil then proceed. Have fried onions separately mix it while serving this will also give a unique taste to the pulao.
2) I added 1cup cup of mint and 1 cup or coriander leaves (had loads of it lol), which again contributed to the darker shade. So make it 1/4th cup to half cup maximum this also boosts up flavor
Though this recipe and my explanation looks long, But once you got the ingredients and pre preparation work done!! Then Cooking is Just A Jiffy!!
Do try and let us know in the comment section This will help others to know more about ur experience and the recipe!!
Cya Until next Bye bye